Zen Up Your Life with Buddhist Temple Cuisine
a ZenKimchi Seoul Food Tour
♥ Vegan friendly
♥ Halal friendly
Experience Buddhist temple cuisine. We all have tried eating mindfully at least once. But when life gets busy, mindful eating feels like a luxury at best. If this sounds like you, you have to join us. Buddhist monks and nuns will tell you that every bite at every meal is a good place to start practicing mindfulness. Then you will find a peace of mind even in the midst of chaos.
Connect to the the surreal (yet real) world of Korean Buddhism hidden in the heart of Seoul. Buddhist temple cuisine is more vegan than vegan. It's local. It's organic. It's sustainable. Even if you're a card-carrying carnivore, this experience will change how you enjoy food and life.
So, to break it down
- Take a temple food cooking class with monks at Jogyesa Temple (2hrs)
- Stroll around a historical neighborhood in Samcheong-dong and Jogyesa to get a glimpse of Korean history (1hr)
- Sit with Tao masters of Korean tea-brewing for a cup of relaxing tea (0.5hr)
- BONUS: 5-minute meditation session
After the tour, you will get :
- An excuse to start eating mindfully,
- Selfies and souvenirs from the Zen world,
- A directory of temple food and farm-to-table restaurants in Seoul.
Don’t dress up for the monks. They will see through you no matter what you wear. The ticket price covers the cooking class and tea. You are free to get street food or souvenirs while walking.
Length of tour: approx. 3.5 hours
Type: Walking, cooking, eating, tea drinking
Suggested items: Comfortable walking shoes, umbrella (depends), camera, curiosity and a good appetite for mindfulness
Start location: Anguk Station, exit 1 (line 3)